Rev Hosoi, Nittatsu Shonin's own son
Yelps
2006-06-14 03:58:29 UTC
"In 1992, Chief Priest Takudo Hosoi, 49, of Jisshu-ji temple in Adachi Ward,
Tokyo,
the son of former High Priest Nittatsu, sent High Priest Nikken a letter of
remonstration titled

"Exhortation for the Reformation of the Priesthood"
dated Oct. 18.

He distributed copies among chief priests of local temples
throughout Japan, asking them to rise up for the reform movement.

Mr. Hosoi-who until recently assumed important posts within the priesthood,
including membership on the Nichiren Shoshu Council and nationwide
propagation chief-has an extensive network of personal contacts, especially
among priests who were ordained under the 66th high priest, Nittatsu Shonin,
and regard him as their teacher. Mr. Hosoi is also one of the priests
expected to shoulder the next generation of the priesthood's administration.

In his letter to the high priest, Mr. Hosoi first points out the deplorable
state of the priesthood, stating, "A shameful spiritual state pervades the
entire sect; priests have no hope, are consumed with complaint and are
preoccupied with self-preservation." He then states that the high priest's
abuse of his authority directly caused the current confusion.

Next, Mr. Hosoi demands that the high priest give a clear explanation for
the so-called Operation C-Nikken's plan to disband the SGI. Mr. Hosoi had
heard that Nikken held several conferences to discuss his plan with his
close aides in July 1990, the time when the Soka Gakkai was promoting its
plan to donate head temple lodging facilities and 200 temples as well as to
renovate the Sho-Hondo to celebrate the 700th anniversary of the head temple
's founding.

Mr. Hosoi states in his letter, "If you were calmly conducting the series of
commemorative events with the Soka Gakkai's complete support and receiving
donations while concealing your intention, your act would be fraud totally
unbecoming of clergy."

Regarding the Nichiren Shoshu Council, Mr. Hosoi, former Council member,
states: "Council members rarely know of agendas before a session ... The
Council's authority is diminished; it has become a mere rubber stamp."

Mr. Hosoi also revealed that when Nikken came back from the first overseas
gojukai trip in 1963, he said that he had gone out to have some drinks at
night in Seattle, got lost and had to be saved by a local women's division
member. This contradicts Nikken's own statement at a meeting on Aug. 28 at
the head temple that he did not "set one foot" outside the hotel. Concerning
this inconsistency, Mr. Hosoi states: "If you acknowledged the truth and
responded honestly to what is not true, I would not have any doubts about
your innocence. Because of your response, however, I cannot possibly
suppress doubt about you in my heart. This is truly regrettable."

Mr. Hosoi concludes his letter of remonstration by expressing his belief
that there is no future for kosen-rufu apart from the SGI and by demanding
the high priest's immediate resignation, whom he describes as the emperor
from the tale "Emperor's New Clothes" parading around his town naked.

Mr. Hosoi's movement is separate from either the Association for the
Reformation of Nichiren Shoshu, which is headed by Chief Priest Gen'ei Kudo
of Choei-ji temple in Tokyo (and former chief priest of Myoho-ji temple in
Los Angeles), or the Association of the Priests Concerned About Nichiren
Shoshu and Protection of the Law, whose spokesman is Hosho Shiina, the
former chief priest of New York's Myosetsu-ji temple and current chief
priest of Myoei-ji temple in Saitama.

Many priests, especially those who regard themselves as Nittatsu Shonin's
students, are reportedly expressing their support for Mr. Hosoi's movement.
Mr. Hosoi's unusual action-demanding the high priest's resignation publicly
while remaining in the priesthood-is putting the current priesthood
administration, especially the high priest, in a difficult position.

Unlike previous cases where priests spoke out against the high priest and
disassociated themselves from the head temple, this time Nikken is facing
tough choices. If he punishes Mr. Hosoi, he might face further opposition
from Mr. Hosoi's supporters. But if Mr. Hosoi's action goes unpunished, this
could become a precedent that many priests might follow in the future, thus
rapidly eroding Nikken's authority.

Regarding the recent development, Chief Priest Kodo Yoshikawa of Kenbutsu-ji
temple in Kyoto, who was a student priest under Nittatsu Shonin and is
currently a member of the Association for the Reformation of Nichiren
Shoshu, commented:

I think that nothing is more encouraging to the students of the former high
priest than hearing that High Priest Nittatsu's son, Chief Priest Hosoi, has
stood up for the priesthood's reformation. This has great significance. For
his courage and belief I would like to express my heartfelt respect.

I read his "Exhortation for the Reformation of the Priesthood." It
straightforwardly expresses what the majority of priests are thinking yet
unable to express openly. Priests' views of the current issue are
drastically changing. Actually, yesterday one priest told me: "To tell you
the truth, from the beginning I, too, thought that the high priest was
wrong. I share the same feeling [as Mr. Hosoi]."
d***@netscape.net
2006-06-14 04:32:27 UTC
Post by Yelps
the son of former High Priest Nittatsu
This is what his father had to say about the Soka Gakkai:

"We have no choice but to rebuke the kind of movement in which the
laymen, swayed by wicked criticism, go on to slander and oppress the
temples of Nichiren Shoshu which can prosper only with their strong
support. We are very sorry deep inside as we see these things happening
around us due to lack of understanding on the part of some people.

"Such slanderous words and actions against the temples and priests is
indeed an act of breaking the harmonious unity between laymen and
priesthood. And I can't help but assert that this sort of act runs
counter to Nichiren Daishonin's teaching itself. I hope that the Soka
Gakkai leaders will understand what I mean and resolutely exert your
full effort to establish a correct relationship of priesthood and
laymen." Nittatsu Shonin, 66th Nichiren Shoshu High Priest, quoted in
Soka Gakkai World Tribune, Feb. 5, 1979

Derek Juhl